Burden of Babylon
A burden in Hebrew is massa which means a heavy weighty thing. Isaiah being a prophet (which we learned in Day 4 – prophet means to proclaim the message given to him) will deliver a grievous heavy message to and about Babylon.
Isaiah 13:6 Howl ye; for the day of the LORD is at hand; it shall come as a destruction from the Almighty.”
- Men’s heart shall melt
- they shall be amazed
Isaiah 13:9 Behold, the day of the LORD cometh, cruel both with wrath and fierce anger, to lay the land desolate: and he shall destroy the sinners thereof out of it.
- stars and constellation will not shine
- sun will be dark and the moon shall not shine
The Lord will punish the world for their evil and the wicked for their iniquity. The arrogance of the proud will cease.
As we read in Isaiah Chapter 13:19-22
Burden: that which is carried, load………..that which is borne with difficulty………..the weight of ships cargo………….to load heavily……………….to load oppressively; trouble.
What are your burdens today my friends?
- Are you lonely?
- Are you suffering from health issues?
- Are you fearful of the future? Where is this country heading?
- Are you troubled about how to pay your bills this month?
- Are you anxious about your children and what kind of world they will have to endure?
- Are you concerned you’re not good enough?
- Are you stressed about feeding your children today?
It’s time to do just what God says in Psalm 55:22
Cast thy burden upon the LORD, and he shall sustain thee: he shall never suffer the righteous to be moved.
As a follower of Christ, we are to cast our burdens on him. These are the times to open your bible, read his word and pray.
“Here Lord I give it all to you”
Perhaps you burdens are light, then as a Christian, we are called to love our brother. This would be an ideal time to help someone else’s heavy load of burdens.
- Meal for a single mother or widow neighbor
- Visit a nursing home and read a story or listen to their stories
- Pay an electric bill for the family who you know is struggling at church
- Make a goodie bag of crafts items for a father of children because the wife works at night to make ends meet
- Take your neighbor’s teenagers out fishing, hiking or on your next camping trip
Must of all pray and ask God how you can help ease someone else’s heavy burdens.
Just as Isaiah’s burden was heavy because the people turned their backs and ways for the Lord.
We need to remember from God’s word why it’s so critical we keep the Lord in our lives.
Father, I pray for those whose burdens are heavy today, they will feel your love, they will submit to you all of their heavy burdens and feel the continued blessings you give us each day.