This week we read and studied the book of Titus. After reading Titus, I know God is faithful, cannot lie, keeps his promises, is Holy, just and pure. He is full of grace. I read Jesus Christ is my hope, teacher and redeemer. The Holy Spirit is shed on us and renews us.
Upon reading, I was pulled in to dig deeper about doctrine. Here is what I found most useful to me and I hope to you as well.
As read in the Websters Dictionary of 1828:
DOCTRINE, noun [Latin , to teach.]
1. In a general sense, whatever is taught. Hence, a principle or position in any science; whatever is laid down as true by an instructor or master. The doctrines of the gospel are the principles or truths taught by Christ and his apostles. The doctrines of Plato are the principles which he taught. Hence a doctrine may be true or false; it may be a mere tenet or opinion.
2. The act of teaching.
Paul is reminding Titus to tell those not to stray from the word and to be sure to teach the truth.
Titus 1:9 Holding fast the faithful word as he hath been taught, that he may be able by sound doctrine both to exhort and to convince the gainsayers.
We read in John 7:16, 17:
Jesus answered them, and said, My doctrine is not mine, but his that sent me.
If any man will do his will, he shall know of the doctrine, whether it be of God, or whether I speak of myself.
Acts 2:42 And they continued stedfastly in the apostles’ doctrine and fellowship, and in breaking of bread, and in prayers.
Hebrews 6:1 Therefore leaving the principles of the doctrine of Christ, let us go on unto perfection; not laying again the foundation of repentance from dead works, and of faith toward God,
What is the doctrine of truth?
- aged men be sober, grave, temperate, sound in faith, in charity and in patience.
- aged women likewise, behaviour as becometh in holiness, not false accusers, teachers of good things
- aged women are to teach young women how to love their husbands and children, be discreet and keepers of a good home
- young men exhort good works in: doctrine shewing uncorruptness, gravity, sincerity and sound speech, that cannot be condemned.
2 John 1:9
“Whosoever transgresseth, and abideth not in the doctrine of Christ, hath not God. He that abideth in the doctrine of Christ, he hath both the Father and the Son.”
May you continue to search the living word of God for truth and sound doctrine.