Day 11 of Luke Chapter 11
Jesus teaches how to pray and not what to pray.
- Our Father and thy will be done (Webster’s Dictionary 1828 defines will as: Divine determination; moral purpose or counsel) be done – this doesn’t mean my wants or foolish ways but our heavenly Father’s.
Matthew 6:21 For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also.”
- Give us day by day our daily bread – this doesn’t say more than or less than but simple daily. For me this means to trust, obey and be committed by faith God will provide daily.
Romans 1:17 For therein is the righteousness of God revealed from faith to faith: as it is written, The just shall live by faith.
- Forgive us of our sins and we are to forgive others of their sins against us.
Matthew 6: 14 For if ye forgive men their trespasses, your heavenly Father will also forgive you: 15But if ye forgive not men their trespasses, neither will your Father forgive your trespasses.
- Deliver us from evil
If you have studied your bible you know the children of Israel ask God over and over again to deliver them from evil.
Judges 10:15 And the children of Israel said unto the LORD, We have sinned: do thou unto us whatsoever seemeth good unto thee; deliver us only, we pray thee, this day.”
Then God sends his only begotten son Jesus to die on the cross for our sins and the sins of the world, so we have eternal life with him, as long as you believe and repent of your sinful ways.
Galatians 1:4 Who gave himself for our sins, that he might deliver us from this present evil world, according to the will of God and our Father:”
- Lead us not into temptation – we have a choice to do right or wrong. Just as we have a choice to take the free gift of salvation. Just as Jesus had a choice to die on the cross for our sins. He did this because of his love for us and so that none should perish or go to hell or live apart from God.
James 1:12 Blessed is the man that endureth temptation: for when he is tried, he shall receive the crown of life, which the Lord hath promised to them that love him.
Praying will –
- keep us from temptation
- keep us in God’s will
- keep us feed
- keep us humble to give God all the honor and glory.
Protection from evil
Reprove our hearts
Admonish our faults and wrong practices
Yearn for others to know Jesus
May you continue to prepare your hearts to knowing the truth about Jesus and lean not unto your own understanding but search the living word of God.
Thank you for reading day eleven of my journey through the book of Luke.
Come let us adore him.