S.O.A.K Method – Scripture which speaks to my heart, Observe, Application and Kneel in prayer
• God’s work did not die when Samuel dies. He does not depend on just one person to do his will.
• Samuel’s heritage lived on as we read in:
1 Chronicles 9:22 – All these which were chosen to be porters in the gates were two hundred and twelve. These were reckoned by their genealogy in their villages, whom David and Samuel the seer did ordain in their set office.
2 Chronicles 35:18 – And there was no passover like to that kept in Israel from the days of Samuel the prophet; neither did all the kings of Israel keep such a passover as Josiah kept, and the priests, and the Levites, and all Judah and Israel that were present, and the inhabitants of Jerusalem.
Psalm 99:6 – Moses and Aaron among his priests, and Samuel among them that call upon his name; they called upon the LORD, and he answered them.
Jeremiah 15:1 – Then said the LORD unto me, Though Moses and Samuel stood before me, yet my mind could not be toward this people: cast them out of my sight, and let them go forth.
Hebrews 11:33 – Who through faith subdued kingdoms, wrought righteousness, obtained promises, stopped the mouths of lions,
• Nabal riches – reminds us material riches make walking in the Lord harder
• Shearing sheep in Carmel: this was harvest time for sheep ranchers which was a time of celebration by feasting and sharing the lavishness with others
• Nabal means fool. It is not known if the name was given or earned
• Abigail – a woman of good understanding and beautiful. There are only two other women who are given this much praise in the bible:
***Rachel (Genesis 29:7) And he said, Lo, it is yet high day, neither is it time that the cattle should be gathered together: water ye the sheep, and go and feed them.
***Esther (Esther 2:7) And he brought up Hadassah, that is, Esther, his uncle’s daughter: for she had neither father nor mother, and the maid was fair and beautiful; whom Mordecai, when her father and mother were dead, took for his own daughter.
• David protected Nabal’s flock for a long time
• David did right by politely reminding Nabal of the traditions surrounding harvest time
• Nabal provoked David by making it seem as if he didn’t know who he was
• David was ready to fight but is not responding to the way God would have wanted
-When we are insulted we are reminded the Lord wants us to bear it with love and kindness and not return with evil or revenge
• If your recall, David responds to Saul with kindness and which is pleasing to God
And lastly: We would need to seek forgiveness of our sins less often if we would seek the LORD more diligently to be kept from sin to begin with.
“There is no way of keeping out the fire of sin except by having the fire of grace blazing within the spirit. We must fight fire with fire.” (Spurgeon)
May you search the Word of the living God and lean not unto your own understanding.